Things to do in Cronulla - The Seawater Gallery
It’s not every day that you can say you’ve seen an art exhibition made of seawater. But suppose you’re in the Sutherland Shire area of Sydney, Australia. In that case, you can do just that at the Cronulla Seawater Gallery. This unique gallery showcases artwork created from various marine creatures and plants found in Cronulla Beach’s waters. If you’re looking for a one-of-a-kind art experience, be sure to check out this gallery!
Here are some image collections.
Image credits to: https://www.facebook.com/seawatergallery/
All of these were taken with Nikon Coolpix and some compact cameras. Images have been published in magazines such as “Birds Australia” and on TV shows like “Today Tonight”. Everything has been shot within the Cronulla Seawater Gallery (a protected area) and surrounding National Park.
The birdlife is plentiful: dolphins, eagles, pelicans, seagulls, cormorants and an assortment of saltwater fish species, including sharks, rays and large snapper. It was discovered that this little piece of water makes for good nature photography.
There are two Cronulla Seawater Galleries: The first is a small sheltered pool within the National Park. Another larger body of water lies behind Bunnings.
The birds are pretty skittish even though they’ve been used to humans for hundreds of years. You’ll need a high shutter speed and a camera with reasonable AF ability if you want to capture this collection in focus. It always helps to be persistent – anything is possible once your subject gets used to you being around.
Another tip is to use a camera with 10x optical zoom or go for a 12x compact camera, as these usually have an advantage over the smaller zooms out there. If you plan on going on a safari, always pack spare batteries as you will need them.
1. The Seawater Gallery is an art gallery that exclusively displays artwork made from seaweed.
2. The gallery was founded in 2006 by artist Mandy Martin and her partner, Richard Wilson.
3. Most of the pieces are abstract paintings, but there are also sculptures and other types of work on display.
4. The gallery offers a range of workshops for visitors to learn how to create their seaweed creations.
5. All the works are done with natural materials, including seaweed, sand, water, pigment and plant-based glue
6. Visitors can watch artists at work as they talk about the inspiration behind each piece.
The Seawater Gallery is a first-of-its-kind art gallery that showcases the work of local artists and water-based artwork. If you’re looking for an exciting new way to enjoy your time at Cronulla Beach, this should be on your list! Swing by the next exhibition opening or browse the online galleries.
Seawater Gallery in Cronulla Map
Related articles worth checking: