Leaking pipes might appear to be minor inconveniences, but don’t be fooled. They can lead to major headaches if left unchecked. Swift and efficient repairs for leaking pipes are not just recommended but absolutely essential to avoid extensive damage to your property and negative impacts on your health. In this article, we’ll explore why you should repair leaking pipes as soon as you detect any.
5 compelling reasons to fix leaking pipes immediately
- Preserve your property’s integrity
Plumbing is a crucial component to the functionality of your property — poorly maintained water pipes can wreak havoc on its structural integrity. Water has a way of seeping into the tiniest cracks and crevices, which can cause structural weakness over time.
The constant dripping of water isn’t just a minor annoyance. Leaking pipes can weaken your property’s foundations, erode walls and compromise the overall stability of your home. Address these leaks promptly to protect your home or business from gradual but significant damage. Plus, a healthy plumbing system boosts a property’s value.
- Avoid health hazards
Where there are leaking pipes, there is excess moisture where mould and mildew can thrive. Exposure to mould and mildew can cause serious health risks to you and your family or your employees and customers. These include respiratory conditions, allergies, headaches and other health complications. It can also worsen symptoms of preexisting conditions, such as asthma.
- Prevent escalating costs
“A stitch in time saves nine” is a saying that applies perfectly to leaking pipes. It means fixing an issue right away is crucial to avoid having to deal with a serious problem later. A minor leaking pipe, if left unaddressed, can lead to water damage. This may not only require pipe repairs but also costly restoration work for affected areas. If possible, seek the help of a leak detection specialist and a plumber as an investment for your future.
- Conserve water
Leaking pipes contribute to the wastage of one of the most precious resources: water. Even a slow drip can add up to gallons of water wasted over time. For homeowners or business owners concerned about their environmental footprint, repairing leaks as soon as they are detected is a responsible choice for conserving water.
- Boost peace of mind
Living with leaking pipes can be stressful, and not just because of the constant sound of dripping water. The worry of potential damage to your property or your health can take a toll on your mental health. By addressing leaks promptly, you can eliminate unnecessary stress and enjoy a more relaxed living environment.
How to identify leaking pipes
Detecting leaking pipes right away can save you a lot of trouble down the line. Look out for the following signs that indicate you might have a leak:
- Sounds of dripping: Trickling or dripping sounds from walls, ceilings or floors are telltale signs of of a water leak.
- Damp or discoloured walls: If you notice wet spots or discolouration on surfaces, it could be a sign of leaking pipes.
- Musty odours: The presence of a musty or mouldy smell, especially in enclosed spaces, suggests the growth of mould or mildew from hidden leaking pipes.
- Unexplained increase in water bills: A sudden spike in your water bill without an increase in usage indicates hidden leaks.
- Low water pressure: Leaks can reduce water pressure in your taps and showerheads because water is not flowing through the pipes as it should be.
Steps to take when you suspect leaking pipes
If you observe any obvious signs, from dripping noises to a sudden increase in your water usage, act promptly and get professional help. Before leak detection specialists arrive, you can minimise potential damage with the following steps:
- Shut off water: Find your main water valve and immediately turn it off to prevent more water wastage and leakage.
- Inspect thoroughly: If possible, check accessible pipes, connections and appliances for visible signs of leaks. Turn off appliances connected to a leaking pipe to avoid damage.
- Document the damage: Take photos or videos of your leaking pipe or the damaged areas it has caused. This documentation can be useful for insurance claims later on.
- Contact a professional: Most leaks go undetected. If you can’t identify the source of the leak, call a leak detection specialist or a licenced plumber immediately.
Have a leaking pipe? Contact MPJ Plumbing for 24-hour repairs
When faced with a leaking pipe crisis, let our leak detection specialists and plumbers at MPJ Plumbing step in. We offer emergency plumbing services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, anywhere in Sydney and surrounding suburbs.
For your urgent plumbing needs, call us at MPJ Plumbing and get a free quote for our services. Your leaking pipe problem is no match for the expertise and professionalism of our experts here at MPJ Plumbing!