The quality of your plumbing is only as good as the plumbing supplies used. Even if your plumber is a world-class craftsman, as long as the fixtures or pipe materials used are low-quality, you’ll experience issues again and again.
Hardware stores may not cut it
Naturally, when they go shopping for plumbing supplies, homeowners want to get the best quality for the money, but they look for it in the wrong place. Contrary to common belief, your local hardware store is one of the worst places where you can buy plumbing supplies. This option might seem more convenient or affordable, but hardware stores often fail to deliver because they’re jacks of all trades. Hardware stores are well-stocked and do have lots of discounts, but plumbing professionals often avoid buying from them because the products are low-quality and they don’t pass the test of time. Also, if you’re working on a complex project, a hardware store might not be enough.
Look for a plumbing specialist supplier near you
Instead, if you want your plumbing project to be done right, a better idea would be to purchase parts and accessories from a specialised plumbing store. Unlike hardware stores, which offer a little bit of everything, these only focus on plumbing, which means you’ll get more product variety and higher quality. Plumbing stores are able to offer products from a broader price range, and if you didn’t find a certain part in your local hardware store, chances are you’ll find it in a plumbing store. Here, you may also benefit from bespoke consultations for your plumbing projects because the staff receives specialised training.
Whether you’ve just moved into a new home and you want to change the old plumbing system, or you just want to give your bathroom a modern look, the Sutherland Shire area in Sydney doesn’t lack professional plumbing stores. Whether you prefer shopping online or in-store, we’ve hand-picked some of the most popular options that local plumbers and residents swear by.
What to look for in a good plumbing store in Sutherland Shire?
There are dozens of plumbing stores in Sutherland Shire, but they’re not created equal. Here are some of the factors you should keep in mind when choosing a plumber store to make sure you get your money’s worth:
- Reputation: ideally, you want to purchase your plumbing supplies from a plumbing store that has a good reputation on the market. For this list, we’ve included plumbing stores that have served the Sutherland Shire area for decades, who know the needs of the community, and have a track record for excellence. Of course, when looking for a good plumbing store, you shouldn’t neglect newer stores either because there’s always room for professional suppliers, but always check their ratings on specialised review platforms first.
- Stock. The whole point of shopping from a Sutherland Shire plumbing store instead of a hardware store is to have access to a wider range of products. If what you’re looking for is always out of stock, takes forever to arrive, and the shelves are half-empty, that store won’t be very useful.
- Brands covered. You can tell a lot about a plumbing store based on the brands they sell. If a plumbing store covers lots of brands, from smaller, affordable ones, to those that are known for luxury products, they’re usually a good choice. Some of the best plumbing fixture brands that experts recommend include Gerber, Moen, Kohler, and Whirlaway, so if you see that a store is an official seller for them, you’re probably in good hands.
- Prices. Although it’s not a good idea to choose one store over another based on price alone, plumbing projects can be quite costly, and it’s normal to want to save as much money as possible. Besides, it’s really unpleasant to buy new taps for the kitchen and bathroom and discover that in another store they were $50 cheaper. Costs can really add up, and a plumbing store with a history of low prices is always preferable. Also, you might also want to check that the store can offer you loyalty discounts or discounts for large orders. Those can help you cut costs even more.
- Online or in-store? Many homeowners prefer going personally to the plumbing store, carefully looking at each product to take in its build quality and texture. Plus, by shopping in-person, you can also get more renovation ideas and discover products you might have known you needed. However, there are also those homeowners who want shopping to be as quick and convenient as possible and prefer online stores. Maybe it’s more convenient to have your order delivered to your doorstep, or you know exactly what you need, and you don’t want to drive to the store for it. No matter what kind of buyer you are, it’s good to have options, which is why we recommend choosing a plumbing store that has both a physical location and an online store.
- Delivery fees. Getting a discount isn’t that useful if you have to pay a lot of money on delivery fees. These apply both to physical and online stores. Whether you place an order online, from home, or you order it in-store and choose to have it delivered because it’s too heavy and you can’t carry it (i.e., big pipes, showers, toilets, etc.), the delivery fees should be reasonable.
- Customer service. A good customer service staff member should do much more than point you to the right aisle. They should also be able to offer you bespoke assistance, help you compare products from various brands, and tell you if the product you want to buy is right for the application you have in mind. They don’t just care about earning a commission and selling you as many things as possible. They care about helping you and give you genuinely good advice, and ultimately that’s what builds trust and loyalty. If you look at the most popular plumbing stores in Sutherland Shire, you’ll see that most of them started out as a small, family business, and they became so big precisely because they focused on warm, friendly customer service.
- Residential and commercial plumbing. The best plumbing store is one that works both with commercial and residential clients. Whether you need to buy one single replacement tap washer or buy pipes in bulk for your company’s building, you shouldn’t be restricted by the store’s policy.
Are you ready for a shopping trip? Here are some of the best plumbing stores in Sutherland Shire:
1. Reece Plumbing
Reece Plumbing is one of the first plumbing suppliers in Australia, established in 1919. A company that started out as one man selling hardware products from the back of his truck turned into one of the nation’s most successful chains, with over 600 locations across Australia, including a plumbing store in the Sutherland Shire. Reece Plumbing is one of the best-stocked plumbing stores, with thousands of products you can choose from. They also have an online store and sell products from any plumbing category you might think of: showers, toilets, basins, sinks, hot water systems, heating and cooling, appliances, and more. Some of the brands covered include Caroma, Grohe, Posh, Roca, Bradflo, Mizu, and Auspex, with new ones being added every day which MPJ Plumbing Caringbah happily install around the shire. No matter the scale of your project, it’s impossible not to find what you need here. The Reece website also has some nice features to help you with your plumbing projects, such as inspiration and ideas and online planning tools such as charts and calculators. If you prefer going to the store yourself, Reece Plumbing also has a few physical locations in the Sutherland Shire area, so use the store locator on their website to find one near you.
2. Eagles The Plumbing Shop
Eagles The Plumbing Shop opened their first store in Australia in the 1970s, and they’ve grown ever since. Their catalogue consists of over 21,000 products from categories such as hot water & plumbing, bathroom, kitchen & laundry, swimming pool supplies, and more. They do not have an online store, but they do have three physical locations in the Sydney area, so it should be easy to find one near you. Eagles The Plumbing Shop takes pride in the fact that if the products you need aren’t available in-store, they will order them. This way, you can have the peace of mind that you’ll finish your project just the way you want it.
3. Shire Bathware
Do you want to have a designer bathroom in your home? Shire Bathware is the plumbing store for you. Established in 1991, this supplier focuses only on bathrooms, but they have an impressive selection of products. If you never settle for average products and you want your bathroom to stand out through luxury fixtures and unique designs, you can’t go wrong with this supplier. Their team is also very professional and knowledgeable, so if you need advice on building the perfect bathroom, you can count on their suggestions. Shire Bathware doesn’t have an online store, but they have a showroom in Taren Point, which is just 20 kilometres south of Sydney CBD.
4. Tradelink Kirrawee Trade
Tradelink Kirrawee Trade is Australia’s oldest plumbing merchant, established over 150 years ago. They have more than 100 showrooms Australia-wide, where you can schedule a free, no-obligation consultation, but you can also shop from their online store, which features products from every plumbing category imaginable: kitchen, bathroom, laundry, appliances, and more. They have lots of discounts going on, and they’re one of the most affordable suppliers in the business. On their website, they state that if you find a better price somewhere else, they’ll match it. Tradelink Kirrawee Trade also takes pride in their customer service. For example, if you contact them with a question by mail or phone and they don’t answer within three hours, they’ll give you a $100 discount for your next purchase. For Raymore and Oliveri products, Tradelink guarantees delivery within three days (metro) and seven days (regional).
5. Engadine Plumbing Supplies
“We sell solutions, not just products”. This is how Engadine Plumbing Supplies describe themselves on their website and, based on their positive reviews, we agree. They were established in 1989, starting out as a family business, and they’ve become one of the leading plumbing suppliers in Sutherland Shire. Now, in addition to their physical store, they also have an online store, where you can view their entire portfolio of products and place your order in just a few seconds. Loyal customers stay that the pricing is excellent and the customer support staff is very helpful, which is always a plus. Whether you need new taps, trendy bathroom accessories, or a new toilet, Engadine Plumbing Supplies has you covered.
6. Plumbers’ Supplies Co-op
Plumbers’ Supplies Co-op is more than a simple plumbing supplier. They are a nationwide co-operative with over 4,900 members, so you know you’re getting the vastest range of products. Whether you need hot waste systems or bathroom fittings, Plumbers’ Supplies Co-op boasts the best prices and top-of-the-line service. They even offer a personal account manager that can help you with questions about pricing and availability, even outside office hours. Plumbers’ Supplies Co-op was established in 1955, and now they have annual sales approaching $150 million.
7. Bexley Plumbing Supplies
Bexley Plumbing Supplies offers a wide range of plumbing products in St George and Sutherland Shire. Here, you’ll find anything from hot water heaters, taps, and mixers, to washers and copper pipes. They do not have an online store, but they have a website where you can read more about the brands and products they cover and, if you want to buy from them, you can visit them at their showroom in Carlton, NSW.